Sunday, March 3, 2013

Growing Old is Not for Sissies





I recently attended the American Marketing and Health Care Research (AMHCR) meetings in Big Sky Montana .  Our paper entitled, “Who wants to age, maybe you will!”, (coauthored with David Agogo and Charles Schewe) was on the program.   I was also joined at the meetings with my 75 year old Dad, who joined me for skiing during my free time (the conference session format had very early morning and evening sessions).    The experience of discussing aging with my academic colleagues and spending some time with my older father, gave me a greater appreciation of what may be in store for me.


The Academic Perspective
Our paper presented a new paradigm for aging.  The basic premise is that one’s perceived age is a function of the number of new things you try in life minus the number of things you give up.   We conceptualized “things” in terms of biological, cognitive, and social dimensions.  Thus, one can decrease their perceived age if they engage in new health enhancing activities (as opposed to giving up exercise),  learning new skills (as opposed to not learning and forgetting skills), and making new friends as opposed to becoming isolated.

 From this premise we constructed a model that links chronological age with perceived age.  The model  shows that one can feel younger if one engages factors that reduce perceived age. 

 
A Case Study
My Dad has been called by his physician, “not your ordinary 70+ year old man.”  He lives in Park City Utah and skis 100+ days a year (and has done so for over the last decade).  In the offseason he rides horses and works out regularly at the gym.   He reads his daily paper and is current with the news, and works part-time.  Also, he is very friendly and quite social.  “I like people,” and his laugh and easy conversation helps him meet people and gain new friends.

There are challenges he faces at this age.  His distant vision and depth perception is declining (evidenced by his misreading of the slopes in flat light).  He has aches and pains that have accumulated over the years (a former football player, a skier with torn knees and rib injuries, and long-time horseback rider who has been bucked several times).  “It’s not that I don’t pay attention to the aches and pains, but it is that I only pay attention to what hurts the most.”   A few years back he had a staph infection that was very serious,  in the last six years he has broken his ribs and back (4 spinus process) after being thrown from his horse.

Yet, every morning he rises early, and has some coffee during his “meditation” and then goes to face the day with joi d verve.   Although he moves slower than in the past, he methodically prepares for his day.  And on the slopes, he skied more and more challenging terrain that most half his age.  “The key to skiing fitness (and aging) is to work on one’s balance, flexibility, and fast twitch muscles.”

Exhibit A
My Dad attended the session with our paper.  During the discussion, in support of our proposed theory, an audience member mentioned that seniors are more active than ever in terms of skiing.  In response, I introduced by Dad as Exhibit A.  “My Dad is 75 years old.  In the past 2 days he has skied over 50,000 vertical feet on challenging terrain.”    For those of you non-skiers, this is a lot of skiing.  He received a round of applause from the academic audience who also understood skiing.

My Learning

The feedback from the conference was that our theory makes a lot of sense.  Also I got to spend time with a 75 year old who feels less than 60. Together I have a road map for my continued aging now that I have reached 52.  I know what I need to do and have a good role model to follow on the aging road.

How do you plan to age?

No comments:

Post a Comment